I joined the Dispute Resolution team at Redkite in July 2017, and qualified as a Solicitor in July 2021.
My main aim is to help my clients achieve commercially viable solutions to their disputes in a cost-effective way.
I advise on a range of issues for both individuals and businesses in the private and public sectors, with a particular interest in commercial litigation. Examples of areas of work include:
- All stages of the litigation process, including interim applications, settlement, appeals, alternative dispute resolution (in particular roundtable discussions and mediations resulting in successful outcomes, often dispensing with the need to pursue Court proceedings), securing litigation funding and After The Event and other insurance;
- Providing practical advice on the various routes of recovering debts from inception to enforcement of judgments, bankruptcy/insolvency and other proceedings. I act for a wide range of individual and commercial clients in both the private and public sectors including companies, universities and private schools. I also helped implement ‘Redkite Recovery’, the firm’s fixed fee debt recovery offering for undisputed debts and/or unpaid invoices;
- Contentious Probate/Inheritance Act claims. A recent example includes working closely with senior colleagues to obtain a very successful outcome for a client by securing significant provision from an Estate, as well as a favourable order for costs;
- Frequently dealing with enforcement against assets including obtaining orders for sale, writs of control and the appointment of receivers;
- Advising in Consumer disputes, particularly relating to the Consumer Rights Act 2015;
- Defamation and Reputation matters.
Commercial and Construction Litigation
- Regularly acting for clients in relation to director, shareholder and partnership disputes;
- Assisting on a breach of contract claim involving a dispute between two businesses for a value exceeding £1,000,000.00. The dispute also focused on a claim for repudiation and/or renunciation.
- Advising in professional negligence including against solicitors, accountants and other professionals. A notable case includes a claim against a firm of solicitors valued at in excess of £300,000.00;
- Claims involving misrepresentation and contractual disputes. Notable cases involve assisting senior colleagues acting for financial advisers in a high value claim for rescission of a contract, acting for a residential care home engaged in a dispute with their energy supplier and advising a sea vessel design company in a potential high value breach of contract claim;
- Assisting in defending a claim for breach of contract and misrepresentation. The claim value exceeds £500,000.00 and relates to the sale of biomass boilers.
- Acting for various large construction companies on matters ranging from the interpretation of the Housing, Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act 1996 (as amended), defamation, breach of contract and debt recovery issues.
- Advising clients on a wide range of land issues, particularly boundary disputes, restrictive covenants and rights of way. A notable success achieved in 2020 defending a claim in excess of £100,000.00 brought against our clients alleging misrepresentations made during the conveyancing process upon sale of their property;
- Significant experience in dealing with possession claims and various Landlord and Tenant disputes in England and Wales (both commercial and residential) including contested lease renewals, break notices, breach of covenant, forfeiture, dilapidations and service charge disputes;
- Disputes over ownership of property (under the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996).
I pride myself on delivering exceptional client service and, as a fluent Welsh speaker, am happy to take instructions from clients in either English or Welsh.
In my spare time I like to keep fit, play several musical instruments and travel. I am a Committee Member for the Cardiff Junior Lawyers Division and the West Wales Junior Lawyers Division. I am also a Lifelong Ambassador of the Holocaust Educational Trust.
I found the firm very efficient and I’m very grateful to Jake for the service I received. He was very knowledgeable and approachable. I have a few matters with different departments and the service I receive from everyone I come into contact with at Redkite is second to none. This has been a difficult time so thank you all.
Thanks again for all your patience with me and also picking me up when I thought all was lost, I know it's your job but you did do a great job
What our clients say
I was very pleased with the courtesy of the ladies who attended to my requests and particularly so at the time when I had my accident – they were extremely helpful.
Paul James' support has been invaluable in effectively progressing key contractual requirements. His knowledge and expertise in contract and procurement matters is exceptional. Would not hesitate to engage Paul's services again in future should the requirement and opportunity arise.” (dated March 2017).
The reason I used Redkite is that most solicitors don’t have the area of expertise that I required.
Redkite have provided assistance through several particularly difficult issues. Their advice has been professional, thorough and specifically tailoured to the needs of our business. The staff are approachable, knowledgeable and realistic in the advice they provide.
Redkite were recommended to me and I would do the same, fantastic service.
I have to say that everyone I have come into contact with from the receptionists to the solicitors have always been excellent. The advice I have been given formally and informally has always been clear and concise which is always a weight off your mind when you are dealing with the affairs of your loved ones.