Our construction department offers a full range of construction legal services. We can advise on all elements of construction contracts and projects, including any disputes that may arise. Our team has long standing experience in dealing with all elements of contentious and non-contentious construction matters.
We have considerable experience in advising both the public and private sector, as well as a variety of professionals including contractors, employers, architects and other consultants. Our department has regularly acted in numerous construction disputes including Adjudications issued and the enforcement of such decisions.
Our team has also acted In House for a construction company so we fully understand the challenges faced by construction businesses on a day to day basis and we can help you balance the legal risks with a favourable commercial outcome. Importantly in this industry, we are also highly skilled in providing procurement advice.
We can assure you that your case will be headed by a construction specialist. It is a necessity that your matter is handled by an experienced construction solicitor given that the sector is not only regulated by its own laws but the industry contracts and dispute resolution procedures are also highly unique.
In the unfortunate event of a dispute, we are fully equipped to provide you with specialist advice on the best resolution process to pursue.
We set out the experience of our team below:
- Advising Bluestone Resorts Limited on their capital investment programmes at the resort, including the construction of the Serendome which is a transparent canopy arched over a massive 7,000 square metre area encompassing cafes, shops, activities and a 400-seat amphitheatre – the first of its kind in the UK;
- Advising a local authority in Wales on the procurement of a suitable Delivery Partner to design, build and operate a purpose-built centre for the integrated delivery of health and social care services; together with specialist social housing for individuals with care needs. This procurement was undertaken in collaboration with the local health board;
- Providing procurement advice and support to The Royal Mint Limited on a day to day basis including advising on their capital programme. For example, we provided strategic procurement advice in relation to the construction of the Visitors Centre and assisted in the drafting on the tender documentation relating to the appointment of the operator for the facility;
- Providing procurement advice and support to a local authority in Wales in relation to the setting up of their construction framework for design and construction projects;
- Advising a housing association in relation to the procurement of a provider of Asset Management Services (including responsive repairs, voids, gas servicing and breakdown, fire servicing and installation, grounds maintenance, caretaking, handyperson, cleaning, estate services, aids and adaptations, renewable energy installation and servicing and works to empty properties). In addition, the provider also had to manage small capital works projects under the contract;
- Advising the Highways Agency in multiple procurement exercises relating to their Asset Support Contract for highways maintenance work;
- Advising a local authority in Wales in relation to their Property Development Fund, which provides assistance for the speculative development of buildings for industrial / commercial use;
- Advising a number of local authorities on shared services options for architectural and engineering services by drafting a report which highlighted issues including corporate governance and procurement;
- Advising an organisation in relation to their project for improving efficiencies in the build of certain facilities and local authorities working in collaboration. This involved acting in a consultancy capacity to obtain from the local authorities relevant information regarding major refurbishment or new build of such facilities and providing legal advice on the structures of future projects;
- Acting successfully on a dispute against NHBC resulting in a six figure settlement award for a client;
- Obtaining an Adjudicator’s award exceeding £700,000.00 against a national house builder. The Adjudicator’s award was PAID to the client despite attempts to resist enforcement;
- Successfully opposing an Adjudication on the basis that the correct contractual payment process had not been pursued;
- Successfully obtaining an Adjudicator’s decision confirming that a construction contract had been unlawfully terminated;
- Assisting in a successful mediation settlement relating to a contractual construction dispute where the damages being claimed were in excess of £10 million;
- Defeating an application for summary judgment in the Technology and Construction Court in a dispute that surrounded the interpretation of the construction legislation and contractual arrangements relating to payment terms;
- Advising on numerous construction contracts, particularly relating to issues surrounding insolvency;
- Advising clients on the interpretation of construction contracts when negotiating with the other parties.